Monday, November 23, 2015

Saying Goodbye and arriving in York!

After a great night's sleep on what Annie thought was the KING of all mattresses (yup that's her checking out her bed and groaning with appreciation!) we hauled our suitcases to the bus stop in Bowness, which happened to be near the Kings Arms pub. Wee little village - fewer than 100 houses. 


As we waited for our bus to Carlisle I took a couple of photos (surprise!) of these yellow flowers...

...and the bust stop sign - we took the 10:20am bus. I know, pretty interesting stuff eh?

After we got let off the bus we followed a pair of female hikers to the train station - it wasn't too much of a trek, not for us seasoned hikers hah!

Annie took the last selfie of our trip - she had to take the selfies because her arms are longer than mine! - and we each headed in our own direction - me on to York (via Newcastle - yes back to where we started!) and Annie...well, she'll tell you her own story of getting back to the south of England!

The first thing I did when I arrived at the York train station was buy a city map so I could find my way to the various touristy destinations. Then, after being told there were NO buses to get to my Air B&B and then told to take 3 wrong buses (I didn't take them!) I decided a taxi would be best and arrived safely at my B&B around 4pm.

 I settled in to my POD and then went for a walk - I wanted to get to know my neighbourhood, take photos of the area (in case I got lost), get a few things to eat for my breakfast each day and then have an early night.


 Falconer St.

This sign was my landmark as my Air B&B street was off of Beech Ave.

On the way to the old city centre I walked past The Fox, an old Victorian pub built in 1873. I went there on my last night after a long walk around the city and I wanted a nice spot for a meal. However they only serve alcohol, no FOOD! I had a lovely pint in their garden area which was filled with picnic tables then had to look for a restaurant!

Continuing on my walk to the old city centre...

 I loved the shape of this curving building which didn't have much depth- not sure what it's original purpose was.

 My favourite - long lines of row houses.

 I found it was about a 20 minute walk to get to the old city centre and it was easy to find. I ended up at a Subway and had their "salad of the day" and a drink for only 3 pounds. It was fantastic! I stopped at my local "One Stop" store on my way back to my POD and bought a new tooth brush, some yogurt, bananas and breakfast bars, plus cream for my coffee/tea which was provided along with a nice cooler. Oh, and a bottle of Merlot! :)

I loved my Air B&B "Pod" - it was separate from the house - perhaps a former shed? It had a nice large living and sleeping area, a really nice bathroom and a little patio with chairs and a table.




I can't seem to upload the bed/sitting room but you get the idea. It was private and quiet and a walkable distance to everything I wanted to see. Tomorrow I explore!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!